Working in the professional services industry has many challenges, in particular, managing the safety of our workers, both in the office, travelling remotely and working on construction sites. Ecoteam takes the safety of our workers very seriously, we all have family and friends to get home to at the end of the day.
Following on from our win in the Workplace Safety category at the Lismore Chamber of Commerce and Industry Awards in 2016, Ecoteam were nominated as State Finalists in the ‘Excellence in Workplace Safety Culture – Small Business’ at the 2017 SafeWork NSW Awards in October.
Lise Bolton (Managing Director) and Stefanie Stanley (Business Manager) traveled to Sydney to attend the 2017 SafeWork NSW Awards ceremony. Although we were unsuccessful on the night, Ecoteam are very proud to be in the Top 3 businesses in NSW to be recognised as having an exceptional safety culture.
Our advice to other businesses and systems managers looking to maintain and enhance their safety culture is:
- Ensure there are opportunities to discuss non-conformities, near misses and corrective actions.
- Share your knowledge and admit your mistakes – encourage an open and inclusive workplace.
- Be on the look out for ways to improve the safety system – there is always an opportunity to make things better; operate with the attitude of Continuous Improvement.
- Include all of your staff in risk assessments and finding solutions to problems – your workers have the best insight into the work they do every day and can offer simple and effective solutions you may have never thought of!
- If a worker approaches you with an issue or opportunity for improvement – this is a moment to celebrate, investigate the issue and provide a timely response – this will let all workers know you take safety seriously.
These are the foundations for an award winning safety culture and we challenge you to have an ongoing commitment to WHS .
Congratulations to all of the SafeWork NSW 2017 Award winners, you are a credit to your industries.
If you would like to know more about our Safety Systems, please contact Stefanie Stanley, Business Manager on (02) 6621 5123.